Monday, April 6, 2009

Pixar no longer top dog?


Did Dreamworks find the secret to Pixar's success?

Yes, I must confess, EL Golden Stallion is some what of a phony. I am sure that when one hears the name EL Golden Stallion many thoughts come to mind; dashing, clever, verbose, beautiful, unbridled..... Which when taken and examined as a whole, is fairly accurate. However, I must expunge "unbridled" from my list of adjectives. The reigns, bit and blanket of matrimony and fatherhood do saddle EL Golden Stallion. Hence, EL Golden Burro might be a bit more accurate depiction, but like that one famous dude said once "Live in the past, it is warm, fuzzy and happy there." and who am I to cast aside the wisdom of the learned.

I give the above explanation to help you see why I am writing a review about Monsters vs Aliens. So on a Saturday morning with my two saddle bags in tow, we braved the IMAX theater. We sat, we donned the 3D glasses and we were transported into the world of cuddly Monsters and ferocious Aliens.
The 3D affect certainly is the wave of the future for "event" movies and I can see it being a valuable way for Hollywood to entice families to come out to movies in the future. My two Golden Ponies both loved how the images reached out for them and made the whole world come alive. They were transfixed by the effects and were glued to the screen..... until.... the effect wore off and the story needed to take over. One of them still loved it, whereas the other became tired and was more interested in studying his eye lids.

As for me, I too found the 3D effect neat at first, but then it became more of a distraction than an actual benefit by about half way through the movie. But enough about the way the movie was showcased, what about the actual movie? Well, I asked the question if Pixar was still the top of the computer animation pyramid and I can answer that with a resounding YES! Monsters vs Aliens was fun, but it was like a grape soda, all fizz and flash, no real substance.

The story revolves around a Woman on the verge of saying her wedding vows when all of the sudden the affects of a meteorite take hold of her and transform her into a 50 foot "Monster". She then is seized by the government and hidden away with other Monsters, like the Swamp Thing, Dr. Cockroach and the Blob.. who is actually the highlight of the entire movie.

She is doomed to stay there for the rest of her life, until an Alien ship crashes into Earth and begins to wreak havoc on the human population. The government sends the Monsters in to fight the Aliens. I wont ruin the rest of the movie, but overall it was one of those movies you don't mind going to it, but you wouldnt be sad if you never saw it again. Entertaining but forgettable.
Pixar you are still champ!

1 comment:

  1. You will always be the Golden Stallion in my mind with your long golden wavy hair. And those two ponies are gorgeous. A burro couldn't have produced them! I might pass on this movie. I don't go to very many movies any more so I am kind of picky.

    ReplyDelete