Sunday, April 5, 2009

SON OF RAMBOW - Little Boys Unite!

NOT WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT!

I'll be completely honest with you. When I first heard about this film and then saw the cover, I wasn't overly anxious to see this movie. The cover and title took me back to the film Lord of the Flies and I thought it was going to be another re-hash of unsupervised boys letting the law of the jungle take over and anarchy reign.

Lets just say that, that assumption was about as close to the mark as Star Scream actually thinking he was going to depose Megatron or Squidward actually making it as a concert clarinetist. Yes you are right, I was a fool.

The movie is actually an ode to boyhood. It is the story of two young boys, both of them outsiders, un-liked and shunned, who come together to make a movie with a video camera.

The movie takes place in England during the mid 80's and screams nostalgia. The music, the clothes, the slang, are all transposed from the akward 80's and made the backdrop for these two boys making the sequel to Rambo, The Son of Rambow.
I have to be a bit honest, I am a child of the 80's and a resident of the U.S., and it came as a surprise how closely the film, taking place in England, was tuned into what it was like to be a kid in the 80's for me.

Not only was the movie a trip down reminiscing lane, but also the story is quite uplifting. It shows how a friendship grows, is nearly destroyed and then survived, because they care about each other. I know I have already said this, but the movie wasn't what I thought it was going to be and I am happy for it. Check it out !




2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this movie. Is it playing in theatres or can I rent it. It sound like a really good movie. I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched this movie over the weekend and I'm with you...not what i expected and glad for it. As I was watching it all i could think about was writing my own coming of age story about my childhood in good ole St. Johns.

    ReplyDelete