Monday, April 13, 2009

So is it yes or no for "Yes Man"?


Will you open yourself up to the power of "YES"?

What if you were required to say "yes" to every question, every request, every challenge? The question intrigued me. I sat there on my extremely comfortable sectional couch and gave the challenge thorough and determined thought, 15 seconds later, I forgot what I had been thinking about and realized I needed to tell you what I thought about the movie "Yes Man".


Jim Carrey is a mixed bag for a lot of people and you eithier love him or hate him as an actor. His type of humor is like the Hammer of Thor that divides asunder the believers and non-believers.

Am I a believer? Lets just say I have been baptized, but not confirmed into the holy church of the Jim Carrey. I have loved many of his films, but then others have been less than spectacular.

So I entered the DVD into the player with great optimism, but a sliver of doubt that Reverend Carrey might lead me astray again. The DVD began playing and I began on the roller coaster that is the movie "Yes Man".


Jim Carrey's character is a divorcee that has lived in a state of self pity for the last three years. He hasnt been able to let go of the life he had with his ex-wife and he has let all of his other relationships die as well.

Of course, he says "No" to everything, from helping an elderly neighbor to attending an engagement party for his best friend.
Life is passing him by like a distant train passing through his rain soaked lifescape, barely noticed, barely noticing him. (That simile took me about 45 minutes to write, so please read it a couple of times so that it was worth the effort.... Hey, literary geniusness dont come easily.)

Then one day Jim Carrey bumps into an old acquaintance who is a "Yes Man". He had attended a seminar where he was liberated by the power of "yes". Jim Carrey initially says "no", but then eventually comes around to the idea and decides to attend the seminar.

He has an earth shattering experience at the seminar and he decides to give the "yes theory" a try. Of course from then on, it is a wonderful joke of all the things that happen to him, because he cant say "no". Without a doubt, Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords fame stole the scenes he and Jim Carrey were in together and added some amazing chops as the Harry Potter re-enacting, Bank Manager.

There are some genuine hilarious moments throughout the movie and I had a lot of fun with it, but then.... The roller coaster began
. The moments of hilarity were punctuated by moments of slowness that gave the film a weird pace that made me look down at the DVD time clock to see how close to the 90 minutes mark, so I could get a gauge on when it might end.

Now dont get me wrong. Overall I thought the movie was an easy laugh and I am glad I watched it. It just wasnt all that it could have been. Would I recommend it to you? ........... YES.



No comments:

Post a Comment